As Biotech Principal at Atlantic Food Labs, you will be an integral part of the AFL core team. Your role will be crucial for both our company building and investment activities: You will identify the best ideas and technologies, and consequently launch and accelerate the best foodtech, ag & life science start-ups in the European ecosystem for Atlantic Food Labs. You will also be in charge of creating your own deal flow across the intersection of biotech/food/agriculture/life sciences in Europe and accompanying portfolio companies along the startup lifecycle. This is a ”partner-track” role.
As a Principal you can expect on a daily basis to:
- Identify and source the latest upcoming trends in biotech, foodtech and agtech
- Explorate new areas of innovation in food, health & sustainability with the aim to potentially build a company based on the respective space
- Perform technical research on potential seed stage investments, including verification and analysis of a prospective portfolio company’s underlying technology, performance data, and other relevant information gathered in a due diligence process
- Participation in all fields of portfolio management, such as initiating and managing strategic projects, business plan preparation, financial planning, reporting, fundraising support etc.
- Monitor, analyze and evaluate research activities of universities for business relevance of Atlantic Food Labs
- Attend pitch events for our portfolio, meet entrepreneurs, industry partners and build/ further explore relationships with the ecosystem to best help accelerate the growth and likelihood of success for our portfolio ventures
You are a life science professional with experience in applied business concepts, who will work with a dynamic team where creativity, passion, and learning are core values in the interaction with innovative business opportunities. As part of a multifunctional team of professionals who drive the future of start-ups across the food & ag value chain, you have an acute interest in a broad range of scientific topics along with the ability to apply them to ongoing research.
Desired skills and experiences:
- Advanced degree in a bio-related field (Biology, biotechnology, food science, etc.) highly desirable; Bachelor’s degree required, PhD in life science disciplines is a plus
- 3+ years experience in venture capital, private equity, investment banking and/or (bio)tech-startup; having completed own deals is a plus
- Research skills - find and evaluate industry trends, companies as well as its competitors, develop hypothesis on how specific problems might be solved in the future by one or several companies
- Exceptional communication skills - secure and convincing in all settings, effectively and succinctly communicating to all stakeholders of Atlantic Food Labs, as well as communicating findings and conclusions to the rest of the Atlantic Food Labs team, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to prioritize in stressful situations
- Own network of European startups, investors, or research institutes
- Proven exposure to food, sustainability or health topics is a strong plus
- Fluent in English; German is a plus
- Collaborative thinker who excels in teams and is also an independent self‐starter
- An absolute “can do - entrepreneurial” attitude - willingness to perform, high professionalism and a strong team player
- Supportive and humble mindset towards portfolio founders, “enabler” rather than “manager”
- Thrives in fast-paced and challenging environments
- Genuinely interested in understanding challenges that entrepreneurs in food- and tech-startups are facing
- Extremely curious about the food, health & sustainability space, innovative approaches to the food industry new technologies, companies, business models, people and ways to create sustainable value