Lead Food Biotechnologist (Food Chemist) @ Early-Stage Alternativ Protein Venture
Germany, Berlin, BerlinPortfolio Company
ABOUT THE VENTURE
Our vision is to accelerate the world’s transition to an environmentally sustainable, equitable, and animal-free food
system. Our mission is to create the next generation of meat alternatives, starting with whole-cut meat products grown naturally from fungal
mycelium. We aim to create better-than-meat products that deliver on the entire taste experience, nutrition, and price of traditional meat without compromise.
We are an early-stage venture founded in 2020 and the first European fungi-based meat alternative company focusing entirely on the whole-cut meat segment. After graduating from the IndieBio’s accelerator program in New York City, we are now opening our lab in Berlin, Germany.
YOUR ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
We are looking for an experienced and mission-aligned scientist to join us as our Lead Food Biotechnologist / Food Chemist.
The core responsibility of this role is to research and develop innovative solutions to creating our whole-cut fungi-based meat alternatives. We are looking for someone with a proven track record in biology, chemistry, and (process) engineering in the area of
food technology, product development, and innovation. You will cross-functionally lead the creation of our products, guiding the team’s research, designing experiments, analyzing data, and engineering solutions. Overall, we are looking for a leader who can inspire, generate ideas, manage a team, and drive novel products forward.
Your tasks will include:
• Lead applied research projects to develop new, delicious, and nutritious fungi-based whole-cut meat alternatives.
• Lead the product development process from idea to benchtop, and further to mass-scale applications.
• Work in close relationships with internal and external R&D and multi-disciplinary teams.
• Research and develop new food technologies and product building blocks, including flavor & texture interactions.
• Design, conduct and analyze sensory and analytical experiments.
• Proactively collaborate cross-functionally and manage multiple projects that adhere to fast timelines.
• Work in our brand new lab in the center of Berlin (Prenzlauer Berg).
• Opportunity to join a dynamic and diverse mission-driven team with
sky-high ambitions to build the future of food!
• Chance to shape and co-create scientific strategy at an early-stage
• Last but not least, the opportunity to work in an innovative, high-impact environment with flexible working hours, minimal hierarchy, and endless growth opportunities!
WHAT YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
• Degree in Food Chemistry, Food Biotechnology, Food Science or Engineering, or related experience.
• 2+ years of experience in food product development or food manufacturing, ideally has experience with meat-alternatives
• Ideally experience in fermentation technology
• Experience in process engineering.
• Strong background in bioanalytical technologies
• Creative and collaborative problem solver
• Excellent communications skills with the ability to link with internal and external stakeholders
• Growth mindset: Self-starter with the capacity to thrive in a fast-paced and challenging startup environment, doing what needs to be done for the business regardless of your title.
• English language skills required.
• Experience in converting filamentous fungi into meat-alternatives
• Experience in microbiology/mycology
• Experience in reaction flavor chemistry and/or making newly textured material is a plus.
• Experience with designing and conducting sensory testing is a plus.