Lead Scientist (Microbial Fermentation) @ Early-Stage Alternative Protein Venture
Germany, Berlin, BerlinPortfolio Company
ABOUT THE VENTURE
Our vision is to accelerate the world’s transition to an environmentally sustainable, equitable, and animal-free food
system. Our mission is to create the next generation of meat alternatives, starting with whole-cut meat products grown naturally from fungal
mycelium. We aim to create better-than-meat products that deliver on the entire taste experience, nutrition, and price of traditional meat without compromise.
We are an early-stage venture founded in 2020 and the first European fungi-based meat alternative company focusing entirely on the whole-cut meat segment. After graduating from the IndieBio’s accelerator program in New York City, we are now opening our lab in Berlin, Germany.
YOUR ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
We are looking for a Lead Scientist (Microbial Fermentation) to lead the development and scaling of our mycelium-based technology. You are
ideally a passionate expert in the solid fermentation of fungal mycelium. You should have an entrepreneurial drive and mindset, high ambition, and the ability to lead the development of our upstream and downstream bioprocess. You should be comfortable recruiting and managing a team, while also representing our company’s mission and core values.
Your tasks will include:
- Build and lead the R&D, benchtop, and fermentation team
- Help set and execute the strategic and tactical direction in upstream process development and related technologies
- Oversee, direct, and analyze experiments carried out at all scales.
- Serve as subject matter expert in bioprocess development.
- Build strategic partnerships with the best universities and institutes operating at the cutting edge of science and technology
- Assist with shaping our overall direction as a company and support its evolving needs, as needed
Work in our brand new lab in the center of Berlin (Prenzlauer Berg).
- Opportunity to join a dynamic and diverse mission-driven team with sky-high ambitions to build the future of food!
- Chance to shape and co-create scientific strategy at an early-stage
- Last but not least, the opportunity to work in an innovative, high-impact environment with flexible working hours, minimal hierarchy, and endless growth opportunities!
WHAT YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
- MS/PhD in Microbiology / biotechnology/ biochemistry/ biochemical engineering or related discipline
- Strong track record of leadership; ability to collaborate with multidisciplinary teams
- Experience in managing a bioprocess development team
- Strategic and analytical thinker, capable of developing plans to improve internal competencies and technologies to achieve company objectives
- Dedication to creating a technology platform from the ground up
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to link with internal and external stakeholders
- Capacity to thrive in a fast-paced and challenging startup environment
- Previous experience in cultivating filamentous edible fungi across research, development, and commercial scales
- Previous experience with using sidestreams as fermentation substrate
Previous experience in the food production industry
- Knowledge and experience in process engineering