Senior Fermentation Scientist (m/f/x) @ BioTech Venture
Germany, Berlin, BerlinPortfolio Company
ABOUT THE VENTURE
We are an early-stage precision fermentation start-up on a mission to kick off the next great bio-industrial revolution. We want to prove that there is a different way to do things by applying recent scientific advances in microbiology to develop an intelligent, sustainable & healthier approach to the production of raw materials.
As a Senior Fermentation Scientist (m/f/x), you will be among the first hires in our scientific team focusing on the development of our bioprocess using non-conventional yeasts. You will take ownership of the scientific program by designing and executing experiments, performing analytics and analyzing data. This will be done in a new lab, meaning you get to build and design it yourself as part of the position. In addition to your primary responsibilities, you will be expected to participate in all areas of the business that benefit from your expertise. If you are looking for a new challenge where you will have real influence on the shape of the organisation, then this is the job for you!
- You will establish an experimental system and analytical workflow to optimize culture conditions and facilitate strain development
- Lead the lab design process & set-up, and collaborating on an implementation strategy
- Design and run fermentation experiments at lab scale, including handling routine analytics (e.g. cell counts, UV-Vis, HPLC)
- Work closely with different scientific teams internally and externally
- Work with our legal team to develop patents to protect our technologies.
- You effectively document experimental purpose, design, data, and interpretations.
- Use experimental results to identify the optimal strategy for team expansion and participate in the recruitment process
- Remain up-to-date on the scientific literature
- Work in an energetic, international startup environment
- Direct and high impact by bringing to market innovative and sustainable solutions
- Opportunity to grow your position with the growth of the start-up
WHAT YOU NEED TO SUCCEED
- PhD in relevant technical field, such as Biotechnology, Biochemistry, Microbiology (or related field)
- 5+ years of experience working in a wet lab environment
- Excellent understanding and demonstrated expertise in the field of microbial metabolism, metabolic engineering, and synthetic biology tools
- Experience in the development of a bioprocess start-to-end
- Familiarity with relevant bioinformatic and molecular biology software
- Be able to work independent while thriving through collaboration, with an open and critical mindset and a proactive attitude
- Strong organisational talent and being able to deliver against timelines
- Fluency in English is a must
- Have the resilience and creativity needed to push the boundaries of current-day industrial biotechnology